Living in Southwest Florida, we all know the necessity of slathering ourselves with SPF before indulging in a day in the sun. Our lips, however, often get ignored when it comes to sun protection. Here are some tried-and-true favorites to keep your pucker protected in every outdoor scenario.
1) Shiseido Sun Protection Lip Treatment (SPF 36). This clear, non-greasy balm layers perfectly under lipstick, so you don’t have to forego your favorite lip color in lieu of a protective one when spending the day outdoors. $22.
2) Dior Crème de Rose Smoothing Plumping Lip Balm (SPF 10). Though it may appear plain, basic balm this is not—it’s creamy, slightly rose scented and about as luxurious as a lip product can get. (Even though it’s got SPF, don’t be afraid to slather it on before bedtime, too, for super-soft lips in the AM.) $27.
3) YSL Rouge Volupté Radiant Lipstick (SPF 15). Chances are, if it’s spring or summer (and even other times of the year that I feel like I can get away with it), I’m wearing this lipstick. It’s creamy, lightweight, extremely pigmented and leaves a pretty stain even once it’s worn off. In short, it’s perfect—and it keeps your lips protected! (But, truthfully, I loved it just as much before I knew that.) Pictured in 13 Peach Passion. $35.
4) Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm (SPF 25). Guys, if you typically shy away from lip products, this one’s for you. It’s colorless and non-shiny, so it won’t look like you’re wearing anything on your lips, and—bonus!—it’s got a fresh, minty scent, as well. $7.50.
5) EOS Lip Balm in Lemon Drop (SPF 15). It’s a fact: These little lip balms are exponentially more fun to apply than those that come in a tube. This one contains Vitamin E, shea butter and jojoba oil, so you can skip the waxy feel of a traditional Chapstick. $3.49.